Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review #17 Glenmorangie Original 10:


A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year. Another recent study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.  That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon.
Not bad.


Glenmorangie Original 10 year:  43%     Region: Highland,  $29  Total Beverage

Through what I have read, this is claimed to be the top selling whisky in Scotland.  Probably because it damn near tastes like candy, very sweet and for me, so easy to drink.  Due to the inexpensive price I can get it for, it is a go to dram, and I have purchased this bottle many times.  In fact I even bought a bottle of this for when my 10 year old son turns 21.  I also have some mini’s of other expressions from Glenmorangie I can’t wait to get into.  Anyway, on to the review.

Color:  Pale yellow, light apple juice.  Tears are quick probably due to lower ABV.

Nose:  Like a candy shop: Sweet Honey, Vanilla, Fruit, Oranges, Lemon, Roses, Almonds.

Taste:  Warm malt, Vanilla, Honey, Floral Citrus, Lemon Rind, cookie spices.

Mouthfeel:  Light, Warm and quick on the tongue.

Finish:  Sweet, Honey, Citrus, Oak, Anise Seed.

With Water: This really doesn’t need much if any:

N: More floral, Honey comes out more, softens the spice and rind.
T:  Almonds, Sweet and Oak opens a bit more.

Score:  Taste:  65,  Value:  13,  Unique: 5,  Buy Again: 5  Total:  88

I know a lot of people find this whisky too sweet, but for it is so easy to enjoy and for $29 a bottle, it’s a great value, and that definitely boosts my score. One of the best starter whiskies and something else I really like about Glenmorangie  is it is the exact opposite to the smoky Islays, which I enjoy as well, but sometimes it’s nice to mix it up with different Scotches and regions.  This is the very thing I really enjoy about the hobby of tasting and nosing whisky. 



No comments:

Post a Comment