Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review #20 Bruichladdich 10 - The Laddie 10

A guy walks into a bar, sits down, and asks, "bartender, got any specials today?"
Bartender answers, "yes, as a matter of fact we have a new drink invented by a gynecologist patron of ours.
It's a mix of Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer and Smirnoff Vodka." The guy asks, "Good grief, what do you call that?"
The bartender replied, "It's a "Pabst Smir."
Sorry for my inconsistency on my blog posts, it's the busy time of year for me.  Bear with me I'll do my best to add new ones as I can.  I have over 100 reviews to post.
Bruichladdich 10 was whisky of the year 2011, another independent for a while anyway,  Just recently purchased by Remy Cointreau. A nice Islay distillery that was brought back to functionality and thrived to produce some fine spirit, especially this one.  Off to the review. 

Bruichladdich 10 - The Laddie  46%,  $45, Daveco, 750ml

Color:  Golden Dirty Blonde, Amber +1.  Clings to the glass nicely, Slow tears wide legs.

Nose:  Malty Cereal, Sea Water, Salty, Familiar Islay iodine and hint of Peat (even though it supposed to be un-peated), Fennel, Fresh Laundry, Caramel, Cut Grass.

Mouth Feel:  Slightly Oily,  Warm

Taste:  Warmth on the tongue, Spices:  Black Pepper, Ginger, Cardamon, Malt, Charcoal, Zest, Earthy, Syrup, Hint of Iodine.

Finish:  Long, Oily, Oak hint of Sulphur, Pepper

With Water:  N:  Lighter Syrup, Fragrant and Floral  T:  Lightens the Burn, Sweeter, Soft Fruit

Score: Taste:  70,  Value:11,  Uniqueness:  4  Buy Again:  4  Total: 89 

(re-reviewed second score of 92)



This is a good whisky, period.  Recommended to most scotch fans, minus the Islay detractors perhaps.  This dram has a lot to offer and plenty of complexity. Just a couple small items in the taste, I personally wasn’t a fan of, held me back from a slightly better score, but overall a solid scotch I hope to keep in my cabinet.  We’ll see what the future with Remy Cointreau brings.  








No comments:

Post a Comment