Friday, April 26, 2013

Review # 11 Oban 14:

A guy walks into a bar and asks for ten shots of the establishments finest single malt scotch. The bartender sets him up, and the guy takes the first shot in the row and pours it on the floor. He then takes the last one in the and does the same. The bartender asks him, "Why did you do that?" And the guy replies, " Well the first shot always tastes like crap, and the last one always makes me sick!"

Oban 14:  43% $74.99, (paid $59.99 with coupon) Total Beverage 750 ml

 I am reviewing another of the Classic Malts from Diageo, Oban 14 “Oban, The Little Bay of Caves”.  Great history with this city and distillery.  This is one brand I have tried a couple times in the bars, and after finding a coupon from one of my local liquor stores felt it was time for a purchase.

Color:  Amber +1  ( I am not going to get into the e150 discussion here, I am guessing they add some e150 to many of their products. )  Clings to the Glencairn glass producing quick small tears with fairly thin legs.

Nose:  Sea Air, Moss, Black Pepper, Almond Paste, Citrus, Malty Syrup, grapes, Lavender / Heather, Linen, Vinegar.

Taste:  Sweet, Honey, Briny Sea Mist, Walnuts, Cardamon, Spice, Caramelized Sugar, Cream.

Finish:  Warm, smooth, Mint, Pear, Strawberries

With Water:  N: More Fragrant, Floral, Malt Syrup, Chocolate
      T:  Smoother, Vanilla, Fudge, Creamy.

Score:  Taste:  70,  Value: 10,  Unique:  4, Buy Again:  3  Total: 86  

This Whisky opens nicely with a little water. Overall a very well flavored single malt, a tad bit pricy for a regular go to, but a good dram none the less.  I found it interesting that I picked up a number of similar nose and taste profiles as Cragganmore, just with more sea side notes in the nose (Diageo?).  I’d never turn this one down if offered, but it’s not one of my personal very top favorites either.  For the price I can’t say for sure if I would always keep this one in my Scotch cabinet, that is unless it is on sale somewhere $8 to $20 cheaper.  Either way, for those looking to try the different distilleries this should be on your list.  

  

   





No comments:

Post a Comment